Rihanna in the New Lodge

Written by Super User. Posted in History





After the events of the previous day were County Down farmer Alan Graham who allowed Rihanna to use his land told her to "cover up" after Rihanna stripped down while producing footage for her new music video. DUP Alderman Alan Graham said he was getting his tractor when he noticed her stripped down on his land and thought that it was unacceptable. He requested Rihanna to stop and they did, the farmer then shook hands and the pair moved along.

Rihanna then choosed the New lodge Area for the next part of her music video, she was welcomed to the area with open arms by 100s of fans who despractely tried to get close to her between takes.

The title of Rihannas music video "Finding Love in a Hopeless Place" had caused controversy amonst local politicans and adults however young children were delighted and over the moon that she choosed the new lodge above all other areas and that they got to watch her shoot her new video, some children manage to get their photograph with the international super star while others managed to get her autograph.

Later in that evening Rihanna then did another video take at 'The Chippie' Fish and Chip shop on the Antrim Road, afterwards she ordered 75 Fish Suppers.






McGurks Bar Fight for Justice

Written by Super User. Posted in History


McGurks Fight for Justice

The McGurks Bar Massacre – The Fight for Justice


TheMcGurksBarMassacre.com is a family website dedicated to the memory of the innocent victims of The McGurk’s bar bombing, on 4th December 1971.

For generations their families have fought for nothing but the truth. Theirs has been a peaceful struggle of Sisyphean proportions against British government collusion with loyalist terrorists, media misinformation and legal cover-up.

This site will expose the facts and circumstances surrounding the massacre of innocent Irish men, women and children in McGurk’s Bar.

This site will follow and publicise the ongoing campaign of the victims’ families as they fight for the truth.

This site will stand as testament to the present British government that another generation of Irish men and women have sprung up to continue their family’s campaign for truth.
Our sons and daughters will follow us.

Further information can be found at The McGurks Bar Massacre Website www.themcgurksbarmassacre.com

If you have any comments or wish to share any views in regards to the the mcgurks bar massacre, please goto The McGurks Bar Massacre’s Guestbook (www.themcgurksbarmassacre.com/guestbook.htm)

This information was extracted with permission from The McGurks Bar Massacre’s Website

© The McGurks Bar Massacre (www.themcgurksbarmassacre.com)


St. Patricks Church (2012 Parading Issues)

Written by Super User. Posted in History




12th July 2012: Orange Order Parades

A loyalist band (Young Conway Volunteers) band is filmed marching in circles outside St Patricks Church playing the secterian "Famine Song". The song was judged racist by a court in Scotland.

The band claimed they were entertaining their supporters while the parade was at a temporary halt and were not aware they were outside a Catholic Church.







18th August 2012: YCV Barred from Passing St. Patricks

The Parades Commission have banned the Young Conway Volunteers band from marching past St Patrick's Church on Donegall Street as part of the Royal Black Institution March.


25th August 2012: Royal Black Institution March

The Parades Commission restricted all bands taking part to playing a single drum beat while passing St. Patricks Church and barred the Young Conway Volunteers from passing it. All bands defied this ruling and played music while passing the chapel. The Young Conway Volunteers also ignored the parades commission ruling and marched past St. Patricks Chapel.

Loyalist accused the parades commission of being biased and felt angry. DUP MLA Nelson McCausland said the actions of the bands were almost inevitable given the anger felt by protestants against the Parades Commission.

The leaders of the two main Protestant Churches in the province criticised the actions of the loyalist bands as sectarian.




2nd September 2012: Henry Joy McCracken Flute Band

Trouble broke out in the Shankill and New Lodge when loyalist started throwing missiles the police at Carlisle Circus with some on the republican side getting involved too. Loyalist claimed to be angry about the Parades COmmission not placing restrictions on the march. The trouble continued for 3 days in the Shankill Estate.




6th September 2012: RBI Apoligy

The Royal Black Institution apologised for any offence caused to the clergy and parishioners of St. Patrick's Church. The Institution said the anger was being directed at the Parades Commission and not the Catholic Chapel. Fr. Sheehan welcomed the apology.


7th September 2012: Behind the Scenes Talks

The Orange Order announced it was taking part in behind the scenes talks to reduce parade tensions for the upcoming Covenant Commemorations on the 29th September.


10th September 2012: Fr. Sheenan offers talks with the RBI

Father Sheenan offers to hold talks with the Royal Black Institution so they can meet members of the Church. He said "they have an opportunity to demonstrate with generosity and goodwill that it is possible to reach local agreement."


17th September 2012: Orange Order and the Ulster Covenant

After the Orange Order had talks with the Clergy and Parishioners of St. Patricks Chapel and Community Leaders the Orange Order said bands taking part in the Ulster Covenant Parade will only play hymns when passing St. Patricks Church. The Orange Order refused to meet with the Carrickhill Concerned Residents Association.


20th September 2012: Parades will be "Dignified and Respectful"

First Minister Peter Robinson has said that the Orange Order Parades taking place on the 29th September to mark the signing of the Ulster Covenant 100 years ago will "Dignified and Respectful" when marching past St. Patricks Church. The DUP Leader and other Unionist Politicians had been talking with the Orange Order Leaders on thursday.


26th September 2012: Parades Commission Issues its Ruling

The Parades Commission has issued its ruling on the Ulster Covenant Orange Order Parade feeder parade while marching past St. Patricks Chapel. 2,000 marchers will be taking part in the feeder parade. The Orange Order have said that bands taking part will only be playing hymns when passing the church.

Only hymns are to be played as the bands march past St. Patrick's Chapel, no loyalist supporters are to follow the parade on Clifton and Donegall Street. Nationalist protest at the church has restrictions to a maximum of 150 people.


27th September 2012: Residents call for Peaceful Protest

Frank Dempsey of the Carrick Hill Residents Group has said they do not agree with the ruling in place by the Parades Commission but would abide by it.


29th September 2012: No Trouble at Contentious Feeder Parade

A contentious feeder parade, which had restrictions imposed by the Parades Commission had passed St Patrick's Church on Donegall Street without any incidents.



St. Patricks Church (Main Story)

Written by Super User. Posted in History




The ancient parish of Shankill included Belfast and its first Early Christian Church was situated in the disused cemetery on the Shankill Road. In the 1306 taxation of Pope Nicholas, for the Crusades, it is titled “The White Church of Shankill”. Later it appears that the church became redundant but its title and functions were transferred to a Church built close to the ford across the Lagan river and the Norman castle. The terrier of 1615 lists church property confiscated at the Reformation naming this church, “St Patrick’s Church of the White Ford”.

English Protestant settlers, who acquired the church, rebuilt it in 1812 renaming it in honour of St George the Patron Saint of England. Catholics reclaimed the ancient title for the church built in Donegall Street by dedicating it to St Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland.

The foundation stone of the current beautiful church was laid by Bishop Patrick Dorrian on April 18th 1875. During his ministry as the Bishop of Down and Connor (1865-85) 26 new churches were built. This Church of St Patrick was built in the Romanesque style of different coloured sandstone. Bishop Dorrian was buried beneath the Sanctuary behind the priest’s chair, marked out by a thin line of red marble and on the extreme left his memorial, of sandstone and alabaster, can be clearly seen bearing the arms of the Diocese of Down and Connor.


A previous church, built on this site in 1815, no longer sufficed for the increasing congregation but, to accommodate them as long as possible Messrs Collins Brothers of Portadown commenced building the new church around the old. It was then demolished in August 1876 and the entire fabric of the new church was speedily completed for blessing on August 12th 1877 by the Primate of All Ireland, Archbishop Daniel McGettigan of Armagh. A 2 ton bell, cast by Thomas Sheridan of Dublin, had already been placed into the 180 foot (54 metre) spire. Thomas Heanvey, the architect of the splendid new Church, had been a former associate of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and like him did not brook delays.

Inside the church, ten beautiful arches of red sandstone, supported by slender rose and grey Dumfries granite pillars separate the nave from each aisle. Three further arches separate the sanctuary from the nave. As the eye traces the orbit of the 50 foot (15 metre) high centre arch, it comes to rest on the pitch pine ceiling.


The altar is the centre piece of any Catholic Church; it represents Christ. Daily on the altar our Lord Jesus Christ is made present, renewing the sacrifice he made on Calvary on our behalf. “He is living for ever to intercede for all who come to God through him” (Heb 7:25). A new altar of Portland stone from 1997 faces the congregation but behind it the original high altar with its reredos of Caen stone, relieved by Cork red and Galway green marble columns, has been retained. The reredos together with its sculptures was the work of O’Neill and Pearse of Dublin as was the Portland stone statue of St Patrick outside in the tympanum over the main front doors.

St Patricks Display Photograph



After a catastrophic fire on October 12th 1995, every effort was made to restore the church to its original state by the then Administrator, Very Rev David White and his project manager, Mr Oliver Magill. To repair the reredos and its tabernacle, old sketches and photographs were consulted. The tabernacle is the name given to brass and gilded safe in the reredos in which the sacrament of Christ’s Body and Blood is reserved for the sick. In fulfilment of his promises Christ is present under the sign of bread in the Eucharist, “I am the living bread which has come down from heaven… anyone who eats this bread will live forever” (Jn 6:51).

The church was reopened by Bishop Patrick Walsh on October 5th 1997.


Left of the sanctuary is the modern shrine of Our Lady of Comfort, by Mr Chris Ryan of Howth in 1997. Mary’s Son is held out to us as Saviour while a lady, representing the parish, seeks patronage. On the right is the Baptistery whose font commemorates on seven of its eight sides the grace giving sacraments established by Christ. A lighted “Aumbry” in its side wall contains the holy oils used in the administration of the sacraments. The Calvary on the extreme right likewise survived the fire of 1997.


To beautify the church stained glass windows were added as funds permitted. High in the apse seven windows depict the Lord Jesus with his saints in glory. A circular window in the Shrine of Mary represents the Magi visiting Bethlehem while in the Baptistery a similar round window portrays Jesus revealing the love of his Sacred Heart for all people to St Margaret Mary. Four windows in the left transept, reinstalled from St Kevin’s Church in North Queen Street before its demolition, represent the Holy Trinity; the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The original windows in the right transept were destroyed as a result of an explosion during the recent years of conflict, but the six windows now installed to commemorate the centenary of the church, illustrate the life and apostolate of St Patrick. It is noteworthy how often Mary the Mother of God is depicted, under different titles in the remaining stained glass windows of the nave.


A shrine on the right is dedicated to St Anthony of Padua; there is a first class relic of the saint in the reliquary on the left hand side of the statue.
The valuable tiptych on the left of the nave was presented in 1917 by the renowned painter Sir John lavery, in memory of his baptism in the previous St Patrick's Church on March 26th 1856. His second wife, Hazel Trudeau was the model for the Madonna while St Patrick and St Brigid were modelled by his daughter Eileen and step-daughter Helen respectively.

All of Lavery’s letters to the Administrator at the time, Fr O’Neill, are reserved in the Parish archive. They give great detail of the original setting of this work including the original side altar and furnishings commissioned from the great architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens which are, unfortunately, now lost.


The church holds a large collection of relics of saints, most notably two relics of St Patrick; the silver shrine fashioned for the arm of St Patrick, circa 1300 AD in the Ulster Museum, Belfast and the silver jaw bone shrine, circa 1645, presently on loan to the Down County Museum and can be viewed there at these respective museums.

The McGurks Bar Massacre (Audio Interviews)

Written by Super User. Posted in History